Concussions, also known as mild traumatic brain injuries (mTBIs), can have significant impacts that last for days, weeks, or even months. While symptoms like headaches, dizziness, and memory issues often resolve with rest, some patients experience persistent post-concussive symptoms that can significantly affect their quality of life.
In recent years, there has been growing interest in using nutritional and supplemental therapies to aid in concussion recovery. Emerging research in animals suggests that specific vitamins, minerals, and other dietary compounds may benefit the brain after injury. Let’s look at some of the most promising nutraceuticals for concussion.
Critical Nutrients for Brain Health and Recovery
The brain has high metabolic demands and requires certain nutrients to function optimally. Deficiencies in key nutrients after concussion may exacerbate symptoms and delay healing.
B vitamins play numerous roles in brain health. Thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), pyridoxine (B6), biotin (B7), folate (B9), and cobalamin (B12) are all essential for nervous system function.
Animal research shows that supplementation with B2 and B3 improves outcomes after experimental traumatic brain injury. These B vitamins likely act as antioxidants, reducing harmful oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain after injury. Food sources include whole grains, meat, dairy, eggs, nuts, seeds, and green leafy vegetables.
Solgar Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) – 100 Tablets – Super Potency, 500mg Formula – Non-GMO, Vegan, Gluten Free, Kosher, Halal – 100 Servings
- B Complex; Vitamin B1 (thiamin), is part of the group of essential nutrients known as the B Complex; This product offers essential B1 in a convenient vegan dosage form.
- Energy Metabolism; B-Complex vitamins, including vitamin B1, work to support energy metabolism in the body.
- Overall Well-Being; Vitamin B1 is essential for a healthy nervous system and overall well-being, providing the body nourishment for the occasional challenges of daily living.
- Non-GMO, Gluten, Wheat & Dairy Free; Solgar Vitamin B1 is free of: gluten, wheat, yeast, sugar, salt, artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners, artificial preservatives, and artificial colors.
- The Gold Standard; For over 75 years, Solgar has been committed to quality, health, and well-being. Our mission is to create the finest nutritional supplements in small batches, through tireless research, using only the finest raw materials.
Thorne Riboflavin 5′-Phosphate – Bioactive Form of Vitamin B2 for Methylation Support – 60 Capsules
- Active B2: The active form of vitamin B2 more readily used by the body*
- B Vitamin Formation: Important for the formation of other B vitamins, including niacin and active B6
- Methylation: Provides support for healthy methylation*
- Free From: Every Thorne product is made with the purest possible ingredients – without gluten or other major allergens (eggs, tree nuts, peanuts) This product also contains no soy, dairy, shellfish, or fish
- Thorne’s commitment to integrity and science-backed products has helped us earn the trust of thousands of health-care professionals, U.S. National Teams, the Mayo Clinic, and families around the world
NOW Supplements, Niacin (Vitamin B-3) 500 mg, Sustained Release, Nutritional Health, 250 Tablets
- NIACIN 500 mg TABLETS/VITAMIN B-3: Niacin (Vitamin B-3) is an essential B-group vitamin necessary for good health.
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of product. Hence customers are expected to be available during the product delivery
- SUSTAINED RELEASE TO MINIMIZE FLUSHING: Niacin supplements may sometimes temporarily cause flushing and/or itching, but this sustained release tablet should minimize those symptoms. To further limit these uncomfortable but not dangerous symptoms, take daily and avoid missing doses.
- CERTIFICATIONS/CLASSIFICATIONS: Soy Free, Made without Gluten, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Nut Free, Kosher, Vegan/Vegetarian
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation).
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968
- During the summer months products may arrive warm but Amazon stores and ships products in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations, when provided.
In addition to its antioxidant effects, vitamin C is needed to synthesize neurotransmitters in the brain. Peripheral administration of vitamin C in rats after traumatic brain injury attenuates oxidative damage and reduces edema. Excellent food sources of vitamin C include citrus fruits, berries, tomatoes, peppers, and broccoli.
Vitamin D receptors are found throughout the brain, and animal studies show that supplementation may protect against neuronal damage after concussion. Proposed mechanisms include downregulation of inflammatory cytokines, reduced oxidative stress, and stimulation of neurotrophic factors. Vitamin D is unique in that it can be synthesized in the skin through sun exposure but can also be obtained from fatty fish, fish liver oils, and fortified foods.
As a fat-soluble antioxidant, vitamin E protects cell membranes from free radical damage. Animal research demonstrates that pretreatment with vitamin E ameliorates oxidative damage and improves motor and cognitive outcomes after experimental traumatic brain injury. Vitamin E occurs naturally in plant oils, nuts, seeds, and leafy greens.
Magnesium is vital for over 300 enzymatic reactions in the body, including energy production, protein synthesis, and neurotransmitter release in the nervous system. Studies in rodentw show magnesium supplementation after traumatic brain injury restores magnesium levels in the brain, reduces oxidative stress, and improves functional outcomes. Magnesium is abundant in green leafy vegetables, legumes, nuts, and whole grains.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
The long-chain omega-3 fats EPA and DHA play structural roles in brain cell membranes, regulate neurotransmission, and exert anti-inflammatory effects. Rodent studies demonstrate that omega-3 supplementation for 2-6 weeks before experimental traumatic brain injury significantly protects against neuronal damage, cognitive deficits, and behavioral impairments. Excellent dietary sources include fatty fish, fish oil supplements, walnuts, flax, and chia seeds.
Other Promising Supplements
In addition to essential vitamins and minerals, other dietary compounds show therapeutic potential for concussion recovery:
- Flavonoids: These antioxidants found in colorful fruits, vegetables, tea, and wine reduce neuroinflammation in animal models of traumatic brain injury. Resveratrol is remarkably well-researched.
- Curcumin: The active compound in turmeric, curcumin has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Studies in rodent traumatic brain injury models show reduced oxidative damage, edema, and neurological deficits with curcumin supplementation.
- Melatonin: This hormone is involved in sleep-wake cycles and also acts as an antioxidant. Melatonin administration decreases oxidative damage, neuroinflammation, and neuronal loss in animal models of traumatic brain injury.
- Coenzyme Q10: This antioxidant compound naturally occurs in the body and plays a role in energy production. After traumatic brain injury, supplementation in rodents increases antioxidants, reduces inflammation, and restores mitochondrial function.
- Creatine: Known for its use in muscle building, creatine also supports brain energy metabolism. Human trials in children with traumatic brain injury find that creatine supplementation improves cognition, personality, and self-care.
- Alpha-lipoic acid: This antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound crosses the blood-brain barrier and replenishes other antioxidants like vitamins C and E. Studies in rodents demonstrate reduced brain lesion size and edema after traumatic brain injury.
Nootropics Brain Support Supplement – Mental Focus Nootropic Memory Supplement for Brain Health with Energy and Vitamins DMAE Bacopa and Phosphatidylserine Capsule- Brain Focus and Performance Blend
- Brain supplement for memory and focus – Our enhanced nootropic supplement contains some of the finest brain vitamins minerals and herbs including Inositol Bilberry Huperzine A DHA Magnesium and more
- Memory pills for brain support – Our brain health supplement is a fast and easy way to enhance performance using our unique nootropic cognition formula with a variety of vitamins for brain health
- Mental focus supplement – Try memory vitamins brain for women and men and improve attention with our nootropic supplement formulated with magnesium vitamin E vitamin A vitamin B6 Niacin and GABA
- Brain fog supplements – Our comprehensive brain booster supplement includes Bacopa monnieri Licorice root Magnesium and Chromium picolinate to naturally support cognitive clarity and performance
- Natures Craft Quality – We use the best ingredients in our focus supplement formulated in American GMPc facilities and 3rd party tested for potency we always have your needs in mind
humanN SuperBeets Memory & Focus Brain Supplement Chews – Mental Alertness – Clinically Studied Nootropics, Resveratrol Plus Beet Root Powder, Blueberry Pomegranate Flavor, 30 Count
- BRAIN HEALTH SUPPORT: Polyphenol-powered chews to support memory, focus, and mental alertness. Each delightful Memory & Focus Chew supports your brain health, the smart way.
- SUPPORT MENTAL FOCUS: Ingredients backed by clinical research. The decaffeinated Coffee Fruit Extract in each Memory & Focus Chew is clinically studied to support BDNF levels, a key neuroprotein associated with learning and memory.
- SUPPORT MENTAL CLARITY: Each chew is uniquely formulated to deliver 150mg clinically studied fermented Resveratrol, a nootropic, plus 100mg patented Coffee Fruit Extract and 300mg of USA-grown Beet Root Powder without caffeine.
- EASY & CONVENIENT: Simply eat one delicious, pomegranate berry flavored Memory & Focus Chew every day for the best results. Any time of day is OK! They’re decaffeinated and contain no artificial sweeteners or synthetic colors. Plus, they’re non-GMO, gluten free, and made with plant-based ingredients.
- #1 Cardiologist, Doctor, and Pharmacist Recommended Beet Brand for Heart Health Support According to IQVIA ProVoice Survey August 2022.
MaryRuth’s Lions Mane Mushroom Supplement | USDA Organic | Focus | Cognitive | Nootropic Brain Support | 2 Month Supply Liquid Herbal | Non-GMO | Vegan | 1 Fl Oz
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom: Lion’s Mane is native to large parts of Asia | Europe | and North America. Lion’s Mane Mushroom is a large | white shaggy mushroom that looks like a lion’s mane and grows on broadleaf trees.
While many of these compounds show promise in animal models, large-scale, high-quality human trials are still needed. It’s also important to note that the FDA does not regulate dietary supplements for purity, potency, or efficacy. If choosing to supplement, look for reputable brands that adhere to good manufacturing practices. And, as always, consult your healthcare provider before beginning any new supplement routine, especially after a head injury.
The Bottom Line
Emerging research highlights the potential of nutritional therapies to aid concussion recovery by providing key nutrients, reducing inflammation and oxidative damage, and protecting vulnerable neurons. While more human data is still needed, eating a varied, well-balanced diet ensures you obtain diverse brain-supportive compounds. Targeted supplementation may provide additional benefits but should not replace standard concussion management. Physical and cognitive rest are essential during the acute recovery period. With time and proper care, most concussion symptoms do resolve. Nutritional therapies may hasten the healing process, but should always be discussed with your healthcare provider first.